[ALGTOP-L] Women in Topology workshop at MSRI

Kathryn Hess kathryn.hess at epfl.ch
Thu Mar 23 15:50:12 EDT 2017

Dear colleagues,

As part of our efforts to increase the retention of women in algebraic topology by providing both unique collaborative research opportunities and mentorship between colleagues, the WIT network <https://awmadvance.org/research-networks/women-in-topology/> is organizing a short meeting <https://www.msri.org/workshops/797> at MSRI from November 29 through December 1, 2017.  Both women and men are welcome to participate.

Our goals for this meeting are to facilitate the formation of new collaborative research projects in algebraic topology and to broaden the participation in such efforts. While we will focus on initiatives led by women, participation in the meeting is open to both men and women. In addition, we will be able to accommodate more participants than at the Banff WIT workshops, which will allow for broadening the fields of expertise to include applied topology.
The meeting will begin with five-minute flash talks by up to 30 participants, with preference given to junior mathematicians. These will be followed by a dinner reception designed to encourage initial exploration of common interests among the participants. The second day will be dedicated to open problem presentations by six senior mathematicians, followed by open problem seminars and working groups. The aim of the second day’s activities will be to stimulate new collaborations, as well as to strengthen those already ongoing among the participants. On the final morning we will showcase some of the successful collaborative working models that have grown out of the Banff workshops, so as to give participants ideas about how to continue their collaborations.

Registration for the workshop is now open on the workshop website <https://www.msri.org/workshops/797>.  If you would like to apply for travel or lodging support, you need to upload a CV and a letter of motivation when you register.  So far we have only limited funds for travel support (though we have applied for more), so we encourage you to apply to other sources as well, such as the AWM <https://sites.google.com/site/awmmath/programs/travel-grants/mathematics-travel-grants> or the AMS-Simons <http://www.ams.org/programs/travel-grants/AMS-SimonsTG> travel grant programs.

We hope that many of you will be able to join us in Berkeley in November!

Best wishes,

Maria Basterra, Kristine Bauer, Kathryn Hess, and Brenda Johnson