[ALGTOP-L] Wesleyan visiting jobs

Mark Hovey mhovey at wesleyan.edu
Fri Apr 6 07:43:23 EDT 2012

I wanted to let readers of the list know that Wesleyan will be hiring
two visitors for 2012-13. As general advice to those interested in
applying, you might want to shade your interests either towards
algebraic geometry/number theory or geometry/analysis.  Don't try to
impress me, try to impress my colleagues.

Also, Wesleyan is a place where we really do care that you will do
research well and teach well.  So don't slight either area in your
application.

Wesleyan is about 2 hours drive from both Boston and New York.  In the
carefree days before I was chair, I would take my graduate students
to Boston many Mondays.  We have about 17 grad students, and I have two
right now with a third planning to arrive in Fall 2012.

The teaching load is 2-2 and I think it is likely that one of the two
positions will end up being for two years, though we do not have a
commitment from the administration for that, so cannot promise it.

Apply though MathJobs.org as usual.  I include the ad below.
                    Thanks,
                       Mark Hovey

The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Wesleyan
University invites applications for two one-year visiting positions in
Mathematics beginning in Fall 2012. It is possible that one of these
positions could be upgraded to a two-year visiting position, depending
on internal budgeting. Candidates must possess, or be close to
completing, a Ph.D. or equivalent degree, and must have strong records
in both research and teaching.

We seek candidates whose research interests are compatible with those of
the department. Teaching duties will be two courses in each semester.

Wesleyan University is a leading liberal arts school with approximately
3000 students, located in Middletown, Connecticut, halfway between
Boston and New York and also halfway between Hartford and New Haven. The
university has graduate programs leading to doctoral and masters'
degrees in the sciences and ethnomusicology. The Department of
Mathematics and Computer Science awards the Ph. D. degree in
Mathematics, and the M.A. degrees in Mathematics as well as Computer
Science. There are 12 mathematicians and 5 computer scientists in the
department, as well as approximately 17 graduate students. The low
faculty to student ratio ensures close contact between faculty and
graduate students.

Wesleyan University is an equal-opportunity and affirmative-action
employer who welcomes applications from women and members of
historically underrepresented minority groups.

For full consideration applications must be received by April 25, 2012,
and include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, research statement,
teaching statement and at least four letters of recommendation, one of
which evaluates teaching. Applications must be submitted online at
mathjobs.org. Other correspondence may be directed to the following
addresses: Search Committee, Department of Mathematics and Computer
Science, Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT 06459; or email to
searchcom at math.wesleyan.edu.