[ALGTOP-L] algtop in advertisement

Carl McTague mctague at mpim-bonn.mpg.de
Mon Aug 22 11:03:45 EDT 2011

--0016364c658715bec204ab196574

Dear Don (if I may) & John & others on the list,

Yes I was hired to design those equations & diagrams, and had a lot of fun
doing it. There's a bit of a story behind how it all came about. Buy me a
drink sometime and I'll tell you all about it!

For now let me direct you to these videos on the Concord website, which you
might enjoy:

http://www.concord.ch/#/Videos/6/C1%80Taiwan%80Launch/
http://www.concord.ch/#/Videos/3/C1%80The%80clip/
http://www.clabseries.ch/

The ads appeared worldwide, including large color ads in *The
Economist* & *The Financial
Times,* compare:

http://sbseminar.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/maths-in-advertising/

(I enjoyed reading the speculation in the discussion about who might have
designed them.)

The equations were once on display at Harrods in London. I had to get
special permission from their press office to take the following photo ther=
(the security staff had to be notified, the poor quality for which
I apologize is due to the watch room's deliberate photography-inhibiting
lighting):

http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/harrods.jpg

Note the prices: =A316,300, =A323,995, =A336,500 & =A349,950. These are the=
 bottom
end of the lineup. Their "C1 Gravity Tourbillon fully paved with baguette
diamonds" sells for around $1.5 million. (A *tourbillon*, as I learned in
the course of this work, is a very fancy kind of watch, the kind you get if
you lead a very big company and need to have a more expensive watch than
those who report to you, who in turn need to have more expensive watches
than those who report to them, and so on. Or something to be locked up in a
bank vault to diversify an investment portfolio.)

As you may have guessed after watching the Taiwan launch video, the watches=
,
and in fact the equations themselves, are especially popular among
businessmen & financiers in Southeast Asia. (I guess that's who's
accumulating wealth these days.) So much so that Concord created a limited
edition (only 25 made) "C1 Code" with the equations etched onto their
sapphire crystals:

http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/c1-code-big.jpg
http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/c1-code-small.jpg

 Concord announced them last year at BaselWorld2010, where the entrance to
their booth was flanked by 2-story-tall Code-of-Hammurabi-like panels
featuring blue-backlit equations:

http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/concord-baselworld-2010.jpg

Shortly thereafter Angelina Jolie wore a Concord during her photo shoot for
the August 2010 *Vanity Fair*. I tried to figure out whether she was wearin=
a C1 Code (probably as close to being a glove on that hand as I could ever
hope to come) but bloggers seemed to have been more keen on zooming in on
her thigh to try to make out what her new tattoo said to Brad:

http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/angelina-jolie-vanity-fair-aug-2010.jpg

If anyone finds out she was wearing a C1 Code then please do let me know. I=
anyone finds out she wasn't then please *do not.*

I myself am still waiting for a C1 Code knockoff to surface. So far I have
only managed to find knockoffs of the other Concord watches.

Be sure to drink your O-v-a-l-t-i-n-e,
  Carl

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Don Davis <dmd1 at lehigh.edu> wrote:

> Somebody sent me this advertisement for a watch with algebraic topology
> highlighting the background. http://www.lehigh.edu/~dmd1/**
> ConcordWatch.pdf <http://www.lehigh.edu/~dmd1/ConcordWatch.pdf>
>
> Don Davis

--0016364c658715bec204ab196574

ad a lot of fun doing it.=A0There&#39;s a bit of a story behind how it all =
came about. Buy me a drink sometime and I&#39;ll tell you all about it!</di=
v>

d website, which you might enjoy:</div><blockquote style=3D"margin:0 0 0 40=
px;border:none;padding:0px"><div><a href=3D"http://www.concord.ch/#/Videos/=
6/C1%80Taiwan%80Launch/" target=3D"_blank">http://www.concord.ch/#/Videos/6=
/C1%80Taiwan%80Launch/</a></div>

=3D"_blank">http://www.concord.ch/#/Videos/3/C1%80The%80clip/</a></div><div=
ies.ch/</a></div>

 style=3D"margin:0 0 0 40px;border:none;padding:0px">
ing/" target=3D"_blank">http://sbseminar.wordpress.com/2008/07/01/maths-in-=
rods in London. I had to get special permission from their press office to =
take the following photo there (the security staff had to be notified, the =
poor quality for which I=A0apologize=A0is due to the watch room&#39;s delib=
erate photography-inhibiting lighting):</div>

f=3D"http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/harrods.jpg" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/harrods.jpg</a></div>
36,500 &amp; =A349,950. These are the bottom end of the lineup. Their &quot=
;C1 Gravity Tourbillon fully paved with baguette diamonds&quot; sells for a=
round $1.5 million. (A <i>tourbillon</i>, as I learned in the course of thi=
s work, is a very fancy kind of watch, the kind you get if you lead a very =
big company and need to have a more expensive watch than those who report t=
o you, who in turn need to have more expensive watches than those who repor=
t to them, and so on. Or something to be locked up in a bank vault to diver=
sify an investment portfolio.)</div>

h video, the watches, and in fact the equations themselves, are especially =
popular among businessmen &amp; financiers in Southeast Asia. (I guess that=
&#39;s who&#39;s accumulating wealth these days.) So much so that Concord c=
reated a limited edition (only 25 made) &quot;C1 Code&quot; with the equati=
ons etched onto their sapphire crystals:</div>

f=3D"http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/c1-code-big.jpg" target=3D"_blank"=
>http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/c1-code-big.jpg</a></div>
et=3D"_blank">http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/c1-code-small.jpg</a></di=
v></blockquote><blockquote style=3D"margin:0 0 0 40px;border:none;padding:0=
px">

=A0where the entrance to their booth was flanked by 2-story-tall Code-of-Ha=
mmurabi-like panels featuring blue-backlit equations:</div></div>

http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/concord-baselworld-2010.jpg" target=3D"=
_blank">http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/concord-baselworld-2010.jpg</a>=

 her photo shoot for the August 2010 <i>Vanity Fair</i>. I tried to figure =
out whether she was wearing a C1 Code (probably as close to being a glove o=
n that hand as I could ever hope to come) but bloggers seemed to have been =
more keen on zooming in on her thigh to try to make out what her new=A0tatt=
oo=A0said to Brad:</div>

http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/angelina-jolie-vanity-fair-aug-2010.jpg=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.mctague.org/carl/concord/angelina-jolie-vani=
ty-fair-aug-2010.jpg</a></blockquote>

. So far I have only managed to find knockoffs of the other Concord watches=
.</div>

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Don Davis <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D=
"mailto:dmd1 at lehigh.edu" target=3D"_blank">dmd1 at lehigh.edu</a>&gt;</span> w=
rote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;borde=
r-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

Somebody sent me this advertisement for a watch with algebraic topology<br>
highlighting the background. <a href=3D"http://www.lehigh.edu/~dmd1/Concord=
Watch.pdf" target=3D"_blank">http://www.lehigh.edu/~dmd1/<u></u>ConcordWatc=
h.pdf</a><br>
Don Davis<br>