[ALGTOP-L] Jill Clayburgh, who proved the Snake Lemma, has passed away

Jack Morava jack at math.jhu.edu
Sat Nov 6 13:09:14 EDT 2010

  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/06/jill-clayburgh-dead-oscar_n_779876.html

>From C. Weibel, An Introduction to Homological Algebra, p. 11:

"The key tool in constructing the connecting homomorphism \partial
is our next result, the Snake Lemma. We will not print the proof in
these notes, because it is best done visually. In fact, a clear proof
is given by Jill Clayburgh at the beginning of the movie It's My Turn
(Rastar-Martin Elfand Studios, 1980)..."

[This segment of the film is available at

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etbcKWEKnvg

For the film itself, see

   http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080936/

For something similar, though not as complete, see

Antonia's Line, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112379/

(toward the end of Scene 5 on the DVD); thanks to
Doug Ravenel for this reference.]

       --------- Ars Longa, Vita Brevis -------

                           (:+{(}