[ALGTOP-L] Willard for topology class

Robert R. Bruner ad5336 at wayne.edu
Sun Oct 31 14:33:06 EDT 2010

As an undergrad, I loved Willard's General Topology.  People seem
to think it is too hard for today's undergraduates, unfortunately.

What I liked was its completeness:  define topologies via open sets,
nhood systems, bases, closed sets, closure operator, interior operator
and show they're all equivalent.  Nets and filters and their equivalence.
T_0, T_1, T_2, T_3, T_3+1/2, T_4, regular, completely regular, normal.
The varieties of connectedness and of compactness.

It's a very nice workout in playing with sets and logic.

All the other texts seem incomplete in comparison.

Bob