[ALGTOP-L] AMS meeting at Holy Cross

jim stasheff jds at math.upenn.edu
Sat Oct 30 09:38:14 EDT 2010

We are organizing a special session at the 2011 Spring Eastern  Section
Meeting at
the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA, April 9-10, 2011
(Saturday - Sunday)

Special Session on Physically Inspired Higher Homotopy Algebra
Organizers:
     Tom Lada, North Carolina State University, lada at math.ncsu.edu
     Jim Stasheff, UNC Chapel Hill, Emeritus, jds at math.upenn.edu

Various aspects of homotopy algebras such as A-infinity, L- infinity,
and open-closed homotopy algebras are currently the object of research
by a large number of mathematicians.  These algebras are closely linked
to a variety of topics in Mathematical physics, for example, open string
theory, closed string theory, gauge theory.  This session will provide a
forum for reports on current developments in both areas - algebraic
structures as well as physical implications.

     We particularly encourage graduate students and post-docs to report
on their current research on these topics.

     We hope to have at least one lecture that will present the overall
picture that relates these subjects. If you are interested in giving
such a survey, please let us know.

     Respond to both of us, please, if you are even tentatively interested
or know for sure you will not be able to participate.  Either way, let us
know of other possible participants.

     Tom Lada, North Carolina State University
          lada at math.ncsu.edu
     Jim Stasheff, UNC Chapel Hill, Emeritus,
         jds at math.upenn.edu