[ALGTOP-L] LaTeX colimits

Ronnie Brown ronnie.profbrown at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 1 04:47:38 EDT 2010

--------------070902000906090408020106

  I agree with Tim, and write colim T for the colimit of a functor T.
Sometimes it is convenient to write colim_i T(i), but of course the
colimit depends on the domain category of T, not just on the objects of
the domain.

Ronnie

On 30/09/2010 16:25, Timothy Porter wrote:
>  OOPs.  I should have said with a forward arrow.
> Tim
>
> On 30/09/2010 13:20, Timothy Porter wrote:
>>  Neil,
>>
>> May I suggest that using colim rather than 'lim with a backward
>> arrow' would be clearer to read. The traditional notation seems to
>> have been restricted to and intended for, `directed' colimits and
>> there is thus little or no reason to call it lim if it is a colim!
>> Positioning the index or indices can be got  using methods as you
>> already use.
>>
>> Tim Porter
>>
>> On 30/09/2010 09:15, Neil Strickland wrote:
>>>  What do people think is the best way to typeset colimits in
>>> (AMS)LaTeX?  For
>>> years I have been using
>>>
>>> \newcommand{\colim}
>>> {\operatornamewithlimits{\underset{\longrightarrow}{lim}}}
>>>
>>> At some point I stole this from someone without really thinking
>>> about it
>>> but I am not too happy with how it places the arrow and subscripts.
>>> I'd prefer
>>> to have the indices to the right of the arrowhead, not underneath
>>> the shaft, even
>>> in display math mode.
>>>
>>> Neil

--------------070902000906090408020106

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
    I agree with Tim, and write colim T for the colimit of a functor T.
    Sometimes it is convenient to write colim_i T(i), but of course the
    colimit depends on the domain category of T, not just on the objects
    of the domain. <br>
    Ronnie<br>
      I should have said with a forward arrow.
      Tim
        May I suggest that using colim rather than 'lim with a backward
        arrow' would be clearer to read. The traditional notation seems
        to have been restricted to and intended for, `directed' colimits
        and there is thus little or no reason to call it lim if it is a
        colim!&nbsp; Positioning the index or indices can be got&nbsp; using
        methods as you already use.
        Tim Porter
          typeset colimits in (AMS)LaTeX?&nbsp; For
          years I have been using
          \newcommand{\colim}&nbsp;
          {\operatornamewithlimits{\underset{\longrightarrow}{lim}}}
          At some point I stole this from someone without really
          thinking about it
          but I am not too happy with how it places the arrow and
          subscripts.&nbsp; I'd prefer
          to have the indices to the right of the arrowhead, not
          underneath the shaft, even
          in display math mode.
          Neil
      <pre wrap="">