[ALGTOP-L] Toda Medal

Andrew Ranicki andrew.ranicki at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 00:54:19 EDT 2010

I do not have any information about the award of
"The Order of the Sacred Treasure, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon"
to Hirosi Toda. (Clint Eastwood also received one
http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/govt-honors-wbc-team-actors-scientists-in-spring-decorations
)

But Springer Lecture Notes 1418 (1990) on "Homotopy Theory and Related
Topics" is the proceedings of Toda's 60th birthday conference in 1988

http://www.springer.com/mathematics/geometry/book/978-3-540-52246-1

The volume includes a beautiful article by Frank Adams about Toda's
work, which contains a memorable account of the reception of Toda's
computations of homotopy groups at a 1955 meeting in Oxford:

"Toda had spent the previous year in France and his English was not so
fluent as it became later. Still, he could write on the blackboard.
He wrote on the blackboard a large table [of 2-torsion in the stable
stems]. And he proceeded to fill the table in, beginning with the groups
we already knew, and proceeding to those we didn't know. Where there was
something noteworthy he pointed to it, turned to the audience and smiled
politely; and when he got to a group Z_{2^s} the audience clapped a
little, for this was a new record for 2-torsion."

Andrew Ranicki