[ALGTOP-L] Re: Citation indices and journal assessment

R Brown ronnie.profbrown at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 15 09:53:57 EST 2008

Dev Sinha refers interestingly to a `better metric'.

In some ways this indicates the problem to which John Ewing refers, and is discussed in the IMU report. Citation itself is variable, has no agreed standards, and is subject in various degrees to the usual human factors of laziness, ignorance, prejudice and moral hazard, or whatever. (Who cites Ed Halpern in relation to Hopf Algebras, which he called Hyperalgebras?) It amazes me that such initial data problems can be transformed by some alchemy into numbers such as 0.0040427 or 4.8546. Am I just getting too old?

It is however important that all these devices should be open and subject to scrutiny. A problem with Thomson/ISI is that their procedures and quality assurance are not public.

a url link to the IMU in the first version of
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/r.brown/journalassess.html
has been corrected.

Ronnie