[ALGTOP-L] Re: Citation indices and journal assessment

Dev Sinha dps at uoregon.edu
Sun Dec 14 14:18:43 EST 2008

Impact factor is indeed a poor metric.  Carl Bergstrom, a biologist, has implemented a better metric which is essentially the dominant eigenvector algorithm for the directed graph whose vertices are journals and whose edges are citations in (articles within) those journals.  This gives you the "eigenfactor", and when you divide by the number of articles you get an "influence score."  This takes care of the differences between citation culture in different fields as well as the rigging of the system by such journals as that silly chaos theory journal with the editor who cites himself hundreds of times. See the results for math journals at:
http://www.eigenfactor.org/results.php?fulljournalname1=&rosvcat=MATHEMATICS&year=2006&resultsperpage=100&issnnumber=&ordering=perarticle&grping=%25&nam=names&Submit=Search

Congratulations, by the way, to the editorial board of G&T, which within ten years or so of its inception is now at #8.  That makes a pretty clear argument as to how open access, newly founded can still be of highest quality.

Journals are not the only area where (in the language of business) we need to question the value we are getting from our vendors or (in the language of revolutionaries) we need to break our chains.  Textbooks and homework checking software and other educational resources are also areas where if we organized a bit and worked with our administration, we could save ourselves and our students a fair amount of money.

-Dev