[ALGTOP-L] 2009 Georgia International Topology Conference

Michael Ching mching at math.uga.edu
Fri Oct 17 21:13:04 EDT 2008

This is a first announcement for the following conference:

-------

2009 Georgia International Topology Conference
May 18-29, 2009
University of Georgia
Athens, Georgia
http://www.math.uga.edu/~topology/

This will be the seventh in a series of octennial conferences at the
University of Georgia that started in 1961. We are currently applying
for funding, inviting speakers, and arranging housing.

So far the list of speakers who have accepted our invitation includes:

IaIan Agol (UC Berkeley)
Jorgen Andersen (University of Aarhus)
Denis Auroux (MIT)
Mladen Bestvina (University of Utah)
Michel Boileau (Univ Paul Sabatier, Tolouse)
Danny Calegari (Cal Tech)
Ralph Cohen (Stanford University)
Tobias Colding (MIT)
Yasha Eliashberg (Stanford University)
Ron Fintushel (Michigan State University)
Stefan Friedl (University of Warwick)
Dave Gabai (Princeton University)
Ursula Hamenstadt (Bonn)
Ko Honda (USC)
Michael Hutchings (UC Berkeley)
Bruce Kleiner (Yale University)
Peter Kronheimer (Harvard University)
Mark Lackenby (Oxford University)
Robert Lipshitz (Columbia University)
Dusa McDuff (Barnard College, Columbia University)
William Minicozzi (Johns Hopkins University)
Lenny Ng (Duke University)
Yi Ni (Columbia University)
Peter Ozsvath (Columbia University)
Alan Reid (UT Austin)
Paul Seidel (MIT)
Dennis Sullivan (CUNY Graduate School)
Zoltan Szabo (Princeton University)
Cliff Taubes (Harvard University)
Dylan Thurston (Columbia University)
Gang Tian (Princeton University)
Mike Usher (University of Georgia)
Karen Vogtmann (Cornell Univeristy)
Katrin Wehrheim (MIT)

We will leave several speaking spots open and fill them at the start
of the conference.

We have applied for funding from several sources including the
National Science Foundation and the University of Georgia. At this
point we do not know how much support we will be able to offer
participants. Our primary goal is to support as many graduate
students, recent Ph.D.s, and members of underrepresented minorities as
possible. We encourage you to apply for support from us (or anywhere
else you can find it), and we hope that you will be able to come to
the conference.

The conference organizers are Michael Ching, Will Kazez, Gordana
Matic, Clint McCrory, and Mike Usher.  We highly value the input we
have received from our scientific organizing committee of Simon
Donaldson, Yasha Eliashberg, Dave Gabai, Rob Kirby, Bruce Kleiner,
Dennis Sullivan, Cliff Taubes, and Karen Vogtmann.

For more information about the conference, please visit the conference
webpage http://www.math.uga.edu/~topology/